Monday, June 9, 2014

Dairy Free Banana Apple Walnut Muffins

I actually read a magazine today... and I made some delicious muffins! Its the little things that count these days! Snuggles with Baby R will always take precedence over anything!  I have had to go Dairy-Free for Baby R... long story short... he has allergies, just like his momma! I feel terrible that I have passed this trait to him... and I pray that he can grow out of them.  That being said, in the area of starting solid foods, we have started verrrrry slow.  He currently likes carrots, apples, squash, and pears.  I think that some peas are on the menu for our next experiment.  I have had to watch EVERYTHING that I eat.  It is crazy how many 'hidden' dairy ingredients are in different foods.  I can only trust a few brands, and I know that any Asian food is more than likely pretty safe.  It has been hard at times, when I just want a little cheese, or most importantly a cupcake.... but I took on the challenge, and I honestly feel so much better not eating the dairy! I am trying different dairy-free recipes, some are a hit... some are most definitely not.  But, this one is actually VERY delicious, and you don't even miss the butter! I am not claiming that these are healthy... just dairy-free! :)

Ingredients:

For the muffins:

-1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
-3/4 cup white granulated sugar
-1 teaspoon baking powder
-1 teaspoon baking soda
-1/2 teaspoon salt
-1 teaspoon cinnamon
-2 mashed bananas
-1 small apple (thinly chopped)
-1 egg
-1/3 cup canola oil
-1/4 cup almond milk
-1/2 cup crushed walnuts

For the crumble:

-1/3 cup dairy-free butter (I use earth balance)
-4 tablespoons flour
-3 tablespoons sugas
-2 teaspoons cinnamon
(Mix together with your hands)


Before
Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Lightly oil, or line with paper liners, a muffin tin.  I used the small muffin tin which makes about 24 small muffins.
2. Combine the banana, apple, egg, oil, milk, and sugar.  Whisk well.
3. Add the baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.  Whisk well.  
4. Add the flour and make sure to mix well.
5. Lastly, add the walnuts and mix well.
6. Pour the muffin mix into the muffin tin. 
7. Lightly sprinkle the crumble onto the muffin mix before putting them into the oven.
8. Bake for 12-14 minutes. (You will have to cook for about 20-24 minutes if you choose to make these into larger muffins.

 After


 Until Next Time...
Mrs. R

No comments:

Post a Comment