I am sharing a simple recipe for the sweet potato casserole that we made. We tried to not make it too sugary, too sweet, or too unhealthy. We stuck to simple ingredients and allowed the natural sweet flavor of the sweet potato to shine. It turned out to be easy and delicious and even got the stamp of approval from the men at the table. We did make one side with pecans and one side with marshmallows Both were equally delicious. This recipe makes about 4 servings, however, we actually had a little bit leftover!
2 medium sweet potatoes
1/4 cup orange juice
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon allspice
1/4 teaspoon cloves
a handful of pecans
a handful of marshmallows
1 tablespoon maple syrup
(I don't have pictures... I guess that I have used up all of the space for pictures. I am working on getting more space!)
1. In a 400 degree F oven, make the sweet potatoes for about 40 minutes, or until soft and cooked all the way through.
2. Allow the sweet potatoes to cool a little bit. Cut them in half and scoop out the inside of the sweet potato and place in a mixing bowl.
3. Add the orange juice, cinnamon, allspice, and cloves. Mix well.
4. Place the sweet potato mixture in a small glass baking dish.
5. You choose: On one side of the casserole, we added pecans to the top and then drizzled the maple syrup. On the other side, we added the marshmallows.
6. Turn the broiler on in the oven and cook until nice and toasted. This will only take about 5 minutes.
Until next time...