Sunday, November 4, 2012

Pumpkin Spice Scones... just like Starbucks!

Ok... the weather has turned again.  Just when I thought that it was getting cool out and starting to feel like November... in Florida at least... it got hot again! Ugh!  Oh well.  I woke up this morning, wanted a fancy fall breakfast, saw that I had left over pumpkin in the fridge, and I most certainly did not want it to go to waste.  Pumpkin Scones entered my mind! I frantically searched until I found the perfect recipe, and make a few tweaks of my own.  Every fall, just when the cute red cups come out at Starbucks, we always get a Pumpkin Scone on the side.  I have never made them, because honestly, the word scone scares me.  I will never let that word 'scare' me again, because honestly, it was super easy.  Yes, there are a lot of steps, but the whole thing took me a little over 30 minutes, from start to finish! This is definitely something you should try! Especially if you like the Pumpkin Scones at Starbucks, just like we do! Once you make these, you will always make your own! I promise!

Ingredients:
2 cups all purpose flour
1/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
6 tablespoons cold butter, cut into 1-inch cubes
1/2 cup pumpkin puree
2 tablespoons greek yogurt
1 tablespoon whole milk
1 large egg

For the powered sugar spiced glaze:
1 cup powered sugar
2 tablespoons milk
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
(if it is too runny, you can add more powered sugar

Directions:


1.  In a food processor, add the flour.


2.  Add the sugar, baking powder, and salt.


3.  Add the spices.


4.  Mix well.


5.  After the dry ingredients are mixed well, add the cubed butter.


6.  Mix until it looks like grits.


7.  In a separate bowl, add the pumpkin, egg, milk, and greek yogurt.


8.  Whisk together.


9.  Add the wet ingredients into the food processor with the dry ingredients.


10.  Mix until all of the ingredients are incorporated together.


11.  On a flat surface (I used my granite countertop), add a few tablespoons of flour.  


12.  Place the dough mixture on top of the flour.


13.  Knead together until this shape is formed.


14.  Transfer the dough to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, or lined with a silpat pad.


15.  Using a pizza cutter, cut the dough into triangles.  I first cut them into 6 pieces.


16.  Then, I cut them into 12 pieces.  They do not have to look perfect! Look at mine! 

17.  Place these in a 425 degree F oven for 14 minutes.


18.  Meanwhile, you can make the glaze topping.  Add the milk to a mixing bowl.


19.  Add the powered sugar.


20.  Add the spices and mix well.


21.  After 14 minutes, take the scones out of the oven.


22.  Place on a cooling rack. 


23.  When they are almost to room temperature, place them on a plate.


24.  Drizzle the glaze over the scones.


25.  Take the scones off and wash the plate, or transfer the scones to another plate.  You do not want them to get soggy from the extra glaze left on the bottom of the plate.


26.  Here is the final product! As you can see, all 12 did not make it to the final picture.  We ate a few along the way! They were really good warm, but you can wait to eat them when the glaze finishes drying. Enjoy!

Until next time...
-A

No comments:

Post a Comment