Sunday, November 11, 2012

Trying something new!

I wanted to make white-bean and turkey chili.  After I was half-way through with making this new dish, I began to wonder if I was really making a 'chili.' Therefore, I looked up the exact definition of what is chili is indeed.  It said that besides chili being a type of spicy pepper, chili is "a spicy stew of beef and red chilies or chili powder, often with beans and tomatoes." After looking up this definition, I not only decided that what I was making was not quite a chili, but it was rather a stew.  So, I looked up the definition of a stew... and that wasn't it either.  I decided that I would just call this recipe a soup because it does have a little broth in it, and to be honest, all of the definitions were confusing me and making me re-think previous decisions to call meals certain things.  Anyways, I know that the holidays are coming up and I am sure that the last thing that you want to make right now is something with turkey.  Well, this could also be made with ground beef, or ground chicken.  Actually, you could possibly use shredded chicken, or make this a day after Thanksgiving with your left-over shredded turkey.  For me, it is fun to experiment with different substitutions.  You may end up liking it better, or you may go back to the original version.  Whatever meat you decide to use, I am sure that you will find this recipe comforting.  We are still sitting in 80 degree weather, but the comfort of a nice hearty soup was certainly necessary on this November evening!  The herbs used in this dish are so uniquely put together, that your taste-buds will probably experience a new taste.  I am sure that you have quite a few of the herbs in your pantry, and if not, eliminate some of them, and try something new!You may be surprised as to what you will find!

White Bean Turkey 'Soup'

Ingredients:
1 large onion, chopped
5 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tablespoon fresh sage
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
a pinch of red pepper flakes (or more if you like it spicy)
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon flour
1 lb. ground turkey meat
1 can cannellini beans, drained
1 can pinto beans, drained
1 can great northern beans, drained
 3 cups chicken broth
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:

1. Add the chopped onion to 1 tablespoon of olive oil.  Add salt and pepper to taste and mix well.


Here are the 5 garlic cloves that I used.  If you do not like garlic as much as me, you could most definitely use less!


2. Mince the garlic cloves.


3. Add the garlic to the onion mixture and mix well.  Add salt and pepper to taste.


4. Add the sage, nutmeg, cinnamon, oregano, red pepper flakes, and cumin.  Mix well.


5. Add the flour and mix well.


6.  Add 1/4 cup of the chicken broth.  As you mix it, the mixture will begin to thicken.


7. Drain and rinse the beans.


8. Add the beans to the onion mixture and mix well.


9. In a separate pan, cook the turkey meat. Add salt and pepper to taste and stir well until all the way cooked through.  (about 8 minutes)


10.  Add the rest of the chicken broth to the bean mixture.


11.  Add the turkey meat to the chicken broth and beans.


12.  Mix all of the ingredients together.


13. Put a lid on the soup and let it simmer for about 20 minutes so that all of the flavors incorporate together.


Here is the final product! I added a little basil pesto to the top of mine... I am saving that recipe for tomorrow! Enjoy!

Until next time...
-A

No comments:

Post a Comment