Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Chicken Cashew Chinese Lettuce Wraps


Chicken Cashew Chinese Lettuce Wraps


I was inspired to make this after my many craving for P.F. Chang's lettuce wraps.  I LOVE their lettuce wraps, however, after I leave there, my stomach always aches and I feel as if I have eaten WAY too much salt.  I decided to experiment with my own little recipe.  I am terrible at writing recipes down.  I like to just cook with the ingredients and add a little of this and a little of that.  Well, I have written down the final details of this recipe, and I must admit, it was pretty great!


For the Cashew Chicken:
1 small onion, diced
1 teaspoon oil
1 teaspoon sugar
2 teaspoons grated ginger
3 cloves of garlic, minced
2 chicken breasts, cut into small cubes
1/4 cup chopped cashews
Lettuce wraps


For the Sauce:
1 teaspoon grated ginger
1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
3 tablespoons teriyaki sauce
1 tablespoon saki
1 tablespoon brown sugar
(optional:1 teaspoon red pepper flakes for spice)

Directions:




 1. After dicing the onion, add it to a non-stick pan with a tablespoon of oil. (any kind will do)


2. Add the teaspoon of sugar to the onions.  It makes the onions caramelize quicker.  You can also add salt and pepper to taste.  I did not use a lot of salt.  You could also add red pepper chili flakes to make it a little spicy.


 3. Mince the garlic.


 4. Grate the ginger.  This is how I do it:
-Put the ginger in the freezer.  When it is frozen, take it out, and grate it against any size grater.  It will come out looking like shaved ice.  This way, you will not bite down on large pieces of ginger.


 5. Add the garlic and ginger to the onions. Saute for about 5 minutes.


 6. Dice the chicken into small cubes.


 7. Add the chicken to the onion mixture.


 8. For the sauce, add all of the ingredients together and whisk.


 9. When the chicken is almost cooked, add the sauce to the chicken and onion mixture.  Saute for another 5 minutes.


10. Chop the cashews into tiny pieces.  Add the cashews to the chicken and let them soak in the sauce. This will take about 5 minutes.

11. After you clean the lettuce, you are ready to eat! Enjoy!



Until next time...
-A 


No comments:

Post a Comment