On Saturday morning, we decided to try and make an oatmeal casserole. I love oatmeal. I pretty much eat it every day. I try to switch it up by adding a little dried fruit, different toasted nuts, some brown sugar, etc. So, why not try an oatmeal casserole? It ended up turning out great! However, you could probably just put the extra ingredients in your morning oatmeal and it would be just as delicious!
2 cups gluten-free oatmeal (you could use regular)
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup walnut pieces (chopped)
1 cup raspberries
1 cup blueberries
1/2 cup chocolate chips
3 tablespoons butter
2 cups milk
1 large egg
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Grease a baking dish of your choice.
2. Combine the oatmeal, brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, 1/2 of the walnut pieces, 1/2 of the raspberries, 1/2 of the blueberries, and 1/2 of the chocolate chips. The other 1/2 of some of the ingredients will be used for the top of the casserole.
3. In a separate bowl, combine the butter, milk, egg, and vanilla extract.
4. After mixing the dry ingredients, place in the greased baking dish.
5. Pour the wet mixture over the dry ingredients. Shake the baking dish a little so that the wet mixture is displaced evenly.
6. Sprinkle the rest of the ingredients on the top of the casserole. (blueberries, raspberries, chocolate chips, and walnuts.
7. Place in the oven for 35-40 minutes. Serve warm.
Until next time...