Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Zucchini and Turkey Meat Lasagna... no carbs!

I am always trying to create dishes without carbs.  Carbs are my enemy.  Some people like chips, some people like candy.... I like my carbs.  Unfortunately, my husband requires carbs so that he will not widdle away.  I always have to have a starch on our menu for dinner.  BUT... he is not here this week... so I am making a no carb, zucchini, and turkey meat lasagna.  I had to use my wonderful ricotta in some way! I didn't realize how much I would make and lets just say... I will be eating lasagna for days! I honestly think that I will be ditching the pasta for good in my future lasagna recipes.  This one turned out great!

Ingredients:
6 medium sized zucchini
2 cups of ricotta cheese ( Fresh is best! ) Click Here to learn how to make it!
1 egg
1 small onion (diced)
1 pound turkey meat (you could also use beef if you would like)
1 green pepper (diced)
1 8 oz. container of mushrooms (chopped)
1 can of tomato pasta sauce (Or you could make homemade!)
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese

Directions:


1. Slice the zucchini into long slices, about 1 centimeter wide.  


2. Place the zucchini on a cookie sheet.  You can overlap them a little, but you will probably have to use 2 cookie sheets, if not more.  Cook in a 400 degree F oven for about 20 minutes to let some of the juices out and to soften the zucchini.


3. Meanwhile, saute the onions and mushrooms together.  Add salt and pepper to taste.


4. Add the green peppers and cook until onions, mushrooms, and green peppers are soft.


5. When the vegetables are cooked through, add the turkey meat and mix it around with the spatula.


6. Cook until the meat is fully cooked through and the vegetables are mixed well.


7. Before assembling the lasagna, mix 1 egg into the ricotta.  This will hold the lasagna together.

-To assemble the lasagna: 

a. First, spread some of the pasta sauce on the bottom of the pan.


b. Layer the slightly cooked zucchini on top of the past sauce.


c. Next, spread the turkey meat mixture and spoonfuls of ricotta cheese on top of that.

d. Continue layering with the pasta sauce, then zucchini, then turkey meat, then ricotta cheese. 


8. This is what it will look like when it is finished.  Add the mozzarella to the top.


9. Cook in a 400 degree F oven for about 40 minutes, or until hot and bubbly.  If it starts to burn a little before it is finished, add tin foil to the top to finish the cooking. 

When it was finished, I noticed that it was a little watery.  This is because the zucchini will let out a little water.  It did not harm the taste, and to be honest, I really enjoyed it! You could add an extra egg to the turkey meat mixture to decrease the flimsiness of the dish.

Enjoy!


Until next time...
-A 

No comments:

Post a Comment