Monday, October 1, 2012

It's Fall...Chili-Time!

Well, it's Fall here in Florida.  What? Did I just say Fall? Isn't Fall a time of year when the air is cool outside, there is not any humidity, and Pumpkin Spice Lattes from Starbucks are completely appropriate? I would say that a Pumpkin Spice Frappuccino is more like it.  It is still humid, the air is not crisp and cool, and it is raining... again.  But yes, it is 'Fall.'  I can't complain too much.  The weather is mostly beautiful year round, but right now, we are sick of the hot weather, we are ready to wear boots, put on a sweater, and have a real reason to have  seasonal Starbucks HOT drink.

To initiate the first day of 'Fall,' I have made my turkey chili with three different types of beans.  I have been craving chili, so instead of waiting until December before I can enjoy it on the first cold day of the year, I have decided to make it on a rainy day.  For some reason, chili reminds me of Fall.  I always look forward to it this time of year.  I will just have to crank up the air in my house, put on my sweater, and pretend that "Fall" is in the air! Maybe... just maybe... I will even try on my boots!

Turkey Chili with Three types of Beans

Ingredients:
1 medium onion, diced
1 green pepper, diced
1 lb. turkey meat
1 can of pinto beans
1 can of red kidney beans (light or dark, it doesn't matter)
1 can of black beans
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 28 oz. can of tomato puree
1 cup tomato sauce
1 cup beef broth
4 tablespoons chili powder
2 teaspoons garlic salt
2 teaspoons cumin
2 teaspoons basil
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:


1. After dicing your onion and green pepper, add it to 1 tablespoon olive oil.


2. After the vegetables begin to sauté, add salt and pepper and the basil.  Mix well. 


3. Add the turkey meat to the vegetables.  Make sure to stir constantly so that the meat gets cooked evenly.  


4. Add the chili powder, garlic salt, cumin, and more salt and pepper to taste.  It is important that you flavor each layer so that every bite is well seasoned.


5. After the spices are mixed thoroughly, add the tomato paste.  Mix well. 


6. Add the tomato puree, tomato sauce, and beef broth. 
(Hint: If you like it spicier, you could add fire roasted tomatoes instead of regular tomato puree.)


7. Meanwhile, drain the beans.  I like to rinse them to get the canned juices off of them.  You can add the beans without washing, it is your preference.


8. Add the beans to the pot and stir.


9. I like to let the chili sit for about an hour to incorporate all of the flavors.  If you find that it is not spicy enough, feel free to add a little more chili powder.  Or, you could be adventurous and try another type of tomato.  It is up to you! Enjoy!

**Hint: This big chili bowl will obviously get us through a few meals.  I always have a little beef broth and tomato sauce left over.  I like my chili with a little liquid; not too thick.  To reheat it the next day, just add a little of the leftover broth or sauce.  This will ensure that the chili is not too terribly thick. 


Until next time...
-A 

No comments:

Post a Comment