Saturday, October 6, 2012

Pumpkin Apple Oatmeal Casserole

I am on this hunt for different Breakfast Casseroles. I loved when I had that breakfast casserole the other week and I was able to scoop some in a tupperware and go off to work! It was easy, I didn't have to think about what I was having for breakfast, and I really looked forward to breakfast every day! It was something different, and quite frankly, I am tired of plain oatmeal with a little honey.  This is when my mind started thinking, and I began creating new casseroles in my imagination.  Why not try the thing that I am obsessing over right now... pumpkins! Hence the name... pumpkin apple oatmeal casserole!  I made it the night before and heated it up this morning.  I added a little soy milk and it was just perfect! I am already waiting to heating it up for tomorrow's breakfast... definitely something to look forward to!

Ingredients:
1 apple (peeled and diced)
2 cups steel cut oats
1 cup prepared pumpkin ( I just bought the can, but you could definitely try to make your own!)
4 cups soy milk (You could use regular milk.)
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1 cup dried cranberries
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon allspice
2 tablespoons honey
1 egg




1. Peel and dice the apples.


2. Chop the walnuts into tiny pieces.


3. In a large bowl, mix together the soy milk, salt, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, egg, and honey.  Mix well.


4. Add the pumpkin to the wet mixture, mix well.


5. In a baking dish, mix together the apple, cranberries, walnuts, and oats.  

6. Cover the oat mixture with the pumpkin mixture.  Stir well.

7. Bake in a 400 degree F oven for 30 minutes.


8. After 30 minutes, the casserole will look like the above picture.  Take it out of the oven.  Mix the casserole, most of the oats will be cooked on the bottom of the baking dish.


9. Sprinkle a handful of dried cranberries and a handful of chopped walnuts over the casserole.  Bake for another 10 minutes.  Enjoy!

Until next time...
-A 

No comments:

Post a Comment